lockups with netconsole on e1000 on media insertion

From: John Bäckstrand
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 06:08:17 EST

I've been trying to hunt down a hard lockup issue with some hardware of mine, but I've possibly hit a kernel bug instead. When using netconsole on my e1000, if I unplug the cable and then re-plug it, the machine locks up hard. It manages to print the "link up" message on the screen, but nothing after that. Now, I wonder if this is supposed to be so? I tried this on 4 different configurations, 2.6.13-rc5 and 2.6.12 with and without "noapic acpi=off", same result on all of them. I've tried with 1 and 3 other NICs in the machine at the same time.

It seems to be working fine on other NICs, such as rtl8139 and 3c59x. Any ideas on how to debug this further? (Btw, is there an easy way of "inserting" dmesg messages manually?)

---
John Bäckstrand