Re: revert yenta free_irq on suspend

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Jul 31 2005 - 23:54:26 EST

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 ambx1@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> We either need to change every driver to free irqs or "harden" each
> of them.

No. No "either".

Drivers need to be safe from the hw going away, whether it be physically
or because it got shut down.

> Freeing irqs obviously seems easier.

No.

Freeing irq's DOES NOT HELP.

Listen to me. You need the hardening of the driver anyway for the hotplug
case. Freeing irq's doesn't do anything for it, it's just shuffling the
real problem under the carpet.

So fix the damn problem _right_, and suddenly freeing the irq doesn't make
any difference at all. It's just unnecessary and incorrect complexity.

Linus