Re: revert yenta free_irq on suspend

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Jul 30 2005 - 23:51:42 EST

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> Well, they have _already_ been screwed by the following patch that went
> to your tree with the ACPI update. If you drop it, all problems related to
> freeing/requesting IRQs on suspend/resume will be gone.

Yes. I really think we need to revert that patch, we just can't fix this
any other way in the short run - the "request_irq/free_irq()" thing has
broken too many setups. And we _need_ an answer for the short run, since I
want to be able to release 2.6.13 without having lots of peoples laptop
suspends be broken.

Yes, I realize that it fixed suspend for some people, but the thing is,
anything that expects lots of drivers to change just is fundamentally
broken. In a perfect world we might be able to get all drivers to do the
right thing, but dammit, in a perfect world we wouldn't have ACPI in the
first place.

So I guess I'll just have to revert the ACPI change that caused drivers to
do request_irq/free_irq. I'd prefer it if the ACPI people did that revert
themselves, though.

Linus