Heads up for distro folks: PCMCIA hotplug differences (Re: -rc4: arm broken?)

From: Russell King
Date: Sat Jul 30 2005 - 16:39:05 EST

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 08:15:08PM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 05:45:37PM +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 15:04 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > I merged -rc4 into my zaurus tree, and now zaurus will not boot. I see
> > > oops-like display, and it seems to be __call_usermodehelper /
> > > do_execve / load_script related. Anyone seen it before?
> >
> > For the record -rc4 works fine on my Zaurus c760 (which is pxa255 based
> > rather than sa1100).
>
> It appears to work fine on Intel Assabet.

Let me qualify that, because it's not 100% fine due to the changes in
PCMCIA land.

Since PCMCIA cards are detected and drivers bound at boot time, we no
longer get hotplug events to setup networking for PCMCIA network cards
already inserted. Consequently, if you are relying on /sbin/hotplug to
setup your PCMCIA network card at boot time, triggered by the cardmgr
startup binding the driver, it won't happen.

This may affect distributions, and distro folks need to check what will
happen when they upgrade to a 2.6 kernel with this updated PCMCIA
support.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core