Re: revert yenta free_irq on suspend

From: Russell King
Date: Sat Jul 30 2005 - 15:08:54 EST

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 08:10:33PM +0100, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> Please revert the yenta free_irq on suspend patch (below)
> which went into 2.6.13-rc4 after 2.6.13-rc3-git9.
>
> Sorry Daniel, you may have a box on which resume doesn't work without
> it, but on my laptop APM resume from RAM now fails to work because of
> it - locks up solid. The patch sounded rather fishy when it went in,
> but I've done an unprejudiced bisection and this turns out to be the
> culprit. Perhaps it needs something more (I can try further patches),
> but as it stands it's unsuitable for 2.6.13.

What this probably means is that we need some way to turn off interrupts
from devices on suspend, and on resume, keep them off until drivers
have had a chance to quiesce all devices, turn them back on, and then
do full resume.

The "quiesce" stage needs to take account of whether devices are
accessible (eg, USB mice and keyboards won't be because the USB host
controller isn't resumed.)

(and no I don't have a patch for this - I think this requires another
rework of the PM subsystem and drivers.) ;(

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core