RE: Unable to mount the SD card formatted using the DIGITAL CAMREA on Linux box

From: Mukund JB.
Date: Fri Jul 29 2005 - 12:40:18 EST

Dear Lennart, Dick Johnson, Erik Mouw & All,

Thanks for all ur precious support.

The cannon camera (other devices too) formatted SD is indeed a partition
FAT12. When I said
sfdisk -l, it showed the fs ID as 1. 1 is indeed the FAT12 fs ID.

Attached are the logs for win and camera device sfdisk -Vl /dev/tfa0.

The SD card formatted in camera is partitioned FAT12 disk.
Also, the SD card formatted in windows is partitioned FAT12 disk.
(see the attachment)

on ur suggestion I verified whether camera partition device has a valid
FS ID. I verified. It is FAT12. It is the same for windows
formatted device. The FS ID of both the formats is 1. i.e. FAT12.

I has notion that my driver is not supporting partition devices. This
makes this clean that my driver is supporting the partition devices
(windows formatted SD). If both are partitioned where is the difference?

So, can someone please help me telling what else could be missing that
is creating this problem?

Regards,
Mukund Jampala

CAMREA

wrote:
>> Execute linux `fdisk` on the device. You may find that the
>> ID byte is wrong.
>>
>> Also, why do you need a special block device driver? The SanDisk
>> and CompacFlash devices should look like IDE drives.
>
>SD usually is secure digital (MMC compatible somewhat I believe). It
>does not provide IDE unlike CompactFlash. SD uses a serial interface
if
>I remember correctly.
>
>Len Sorensen
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"
in
>the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

camera formatted info
----------------------
Disk /dev/tfa0: 448 cylinders, 2 heads, 32 sectors/track
Units = cylinders of 32768 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #cyls #blocks Id System
/dev/tfa0p1 * 0+ 449 450- 14371+ 1 FAT12
/dev/tfa0p2 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
/dev/tfa0p3 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
/dev/tfa0p4 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
Warning: partition 1 extends past end of disk

Windows formatted info