Re: [patch] mm: Ensure proper alignment for node_remap_start_pfn

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Thu Jul 28 2005 - 13:34:50 EST

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 11:14 -0700, Ravikiran G Thirumalai wrote:
> SRAT need not guarantee any alignment at all in the memory affinity
> structure (the address in 64-bit byte address)

The Summit machines (the only x86 user of the SRAT) have other hardware
guarantees about alignment, so I guess that's why we've never
encountered it. Are you using the SRAT on non-Summit hardware? That
doesn't seem possible:

arch/i386/Kconfig:
config ACPI_SRAT
bool
default y
depends on NUMA && (X86_SUMMIT || X86_GENERICARCH)

> And yes, there are x86-numa
> machines that run the latest kernel tree and face this problem.

I didn't say "run the latest kernel tree". *In* the latest kernel
tree :)

-- Dave