Re: ACPI buttons in 2.6.12-rc4-mm2

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 18:31:48 EST

"Brown, Len" <len.brown@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >Len Brown <len.brown@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I deleted /proc/acpi/button on purpose,
> >> did you have a use for those files?
> >
> >Can we put it back, please?
>
> of course.

Thanks.

> >We cannot go ripping out stuff which applications and users
> >are currently using without quite a lot of preparation.
>
> Agreed. Although the implementation of the /proc lid status
> file is fundamentally flawed in that even its name in /proc
> is able to change and thus it is a totally bogus user-space API,
> it was not thoughtful to delete it.
>
> I'm open to suggestions on how to approach this transition.
> I can make ACPI_PROC a static build option -- what else
> can I do to ease the transition in this, our stable release?

Well I don't know how awkward this would be from an implementation POV, but
can we just leave the legacy /proc stuff there until the /sys interface is
all in place and userspace is upgraded? Then kill all the /proc stuff
later?

We could also print a rude message the first time someone tries to use a
deprecated /proc file, just to help push the userspace tool developers
along. Although I note that sys_bdflush() is still with us ;)