Re: [patch] inotify: ppc64 syscalls.

From: David S. Miller
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 15:32:19 EST

From: Robert Love <rml@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:31:36 -0400

> [ I don't think we need sys32 compatibility versions--and if we do, I
> failed in life. ]

add_watch and rm_watch both do, because system call arguments are
zero-extended by default for compat tasks, thus the "fd" arg needs
sign extension.

You'll notice that sys_ppc32.c has a ton of shims which purely
exist to sign extend "int" system call arguments. Sparc64 does
something similarly, but in assembler so that we don't eat the
overhead of a full stack frame just to sign extend arguments.