Capability ingranularity

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 14:01:48 EST

Hello developers,

I am currently writing a LSM security module. Because of how many functions
work, I have to add CAP_SYS_ADMIN to the effective capabilities of the
implemented "medium-privileged root" user. However, CAP_SYS_ADMIN is used in a
_lot_ of places, so I need to add security_*() hooks for many functions that
just return EPERM should current->euid be MediumPriv.
If you just look at include/linux/capabilities.h and look at the long list of
what CAP_SYS_ADMIN enables, this might sound like an overkill. Is there a
better way to do this?

Jan Engelhardt