Re: [2.6 patch] include/linux/bio.h: "extern inline" -> "static inline"

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 07:08:36 EST

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 09:49:02PM -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > "extern inline" doesn't make much sense.
>
> The gcc info here (4.0.1-4 on Fedora rawhide) says it means that the
> function should be inlined, and no local copy should be generated
> ever. This way the build will bomb out when something isn't inlined.
>
> It also says you should use:
>
> static inline void foo(some args) __attribute__((always_inline));

We are already doing this automatically.

> as a prototype in this case for future proofing (gcc inlining is not C99
> compatible!), but I don't know if that is supported as far back as 2.95.3
> (as per Documentation/Changes the required compiler).

__attribute__((always_inline)) is supported since gcc 3.1 .

> Side question: Is there anybody still seriously using such ancient
> compilers? I'd guess almost everybody is using newer versions, so this
> would really be not a supported combination anymore.

gcc 2.95 is still a 100% supported compiler.

Compilation of the complete kernel sources usually works [1] and I know
several people still using gcc 2.95 for several reasons.

cu
Adrian

[1] on i386

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.