Re: 2.4.31 panics on boot on 486 box: TSC requires pentium

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 15:44:49 EST

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:22:58 +0200, johsc@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>2.4.31 compiled with -m486, panics on boot (486DX) and says something about
>TSC requires pentium, bang.
>enabling the obscure flag
>
> [*] Unsynced TSC support
>
>seems to fix this - the corresponding .config label name is actually *more*
>helpful than the documentation.

Let me guess: you started from the default config and just flipped
the CPU option to 486? That doesn't work in 2.4 kernels, since it
leaves the derived "I have TSC" option enabled.

A second configuration round (make oldconfig for example) fixes this.
grep TSC .config to ensure it's not set before compiling.