Re: Memory pressure handling with iSCSI

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 14:18:47 EST

Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can you please reduce the number of filesystems, see if that reduces the
> dirty levels?

Also, it's conceivable that ext3 is implicated here, so it might be saner
to perform initial investigation on ext2.

(when kjournald writes back a page via its buffers, the page remains
"dirty" as far as the VFS is concerned. Later, someone tries to do a
writepage() on it and we'll discover the buffers' cleanness and the page
will be cleaned without any I/O being performed. All the throttling
_should_ work OK in this case. But ext2 is more straightforward.)