Re: [SOLVED ?] VIA KT400 + Kernel 2.6.12 + IO-APIC + ehci_hcd = IRQ trouble

From: Michel Bouissou
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 05:52:13 EST

Le Mardi 26 Juillet 2005 04:13, Protasevich, Natalie a écrit :
> > > Le Lundi 25 Juillet 2005 22:44, Alan Stern a écrit :
> >
> > Natalie, that's all I can think of. Now it's up to you to
> > invent a patch Michel can try out, to show just where the
> > IO-APIC code is going wrong.
>
> I will sure try... I'm keeping an eye on your exchange don't worry :)
> just have to get done with urgent work piled up here while on my trip :<

I'm afraid that I may have accidentally solved my problem ;-)

I've upgraded my Gigabyte GA7-VAXP motherboard's BIOS from release 7VAXP.F11
to 7VAXP.F15, and it seems the problem is gone !

The strange thing is that now, cat /proc/interrupts shows that both uhci_hcd
and ehci_hcd use the same IRQ (21) :

[root@totor etc]# cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 569004 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 2107 IO-APIC-edge i8042
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
4: 1589 IO-APIC-edge serial
7: 2 IO-APIC-edge parport0
14: 4615 IO-APIC-edge ide4
15: 4624 IO-APIC-edge ide5
16: 29033 IO-APIC-level nvidia
18: 7684 IO-APIC-level eth0, eth1
19: 28049 IO-APIC-level ide0, ide1, ide2, ide3
21: 7128 IO-APIC-level ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb3,
uhci_hcd:usb4
22: 5969 IO-APIC-level VIA8233
NMI: 0
LOC: 568946
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

...and then, the system feels happy. I've played around with USB devices of
all speeds in all sockets, and there are no "irq 21: nobody cared!" messages
anymore...

Still, high-speed USB devices seem to work only in the motherboard integrated
USB sockets, otherwise I get some "usb 1-4: device not accepting address 26,
error -71" messages, but this isn't an issue for me, and might be a cable
problem as you said...

So it seems that the BIOS upgrade fixed the IRQ issue (or masked it ?).

What is weird is that, from the Gigabyte's BIOS list, I wouldn't have expected
this upgrade to fix this, as their changelog from F11 to F15 only says:

F11: AMD Barton CPU support (2500+/2800+/3000+)

F13: Fixed BIOS flash utility(flash8xx) can't be used issue

F14: Support new AMD Duron model8 CPU (64K L2 Cache FSB 266)

F15: Added AMD Sempron CPU support

So this BIOS upgrade was just a desperate move on my part ;-)

Well, anyway, things look much better here now...

Natalie, if you would like me to try some of your VIA patches to check them
out on my system, I would be glad to help in my turn...

Cheers, and thanks to all of you again for all your precious help.

--
Michel Bouissou <michel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> OpenPGP ID 0xDDE8AC6E