Re: kernel 2.6 speed

From: cutaway
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 00:55:15 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Florin Malita" <fmalita@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 12:10 AM
Subject: Re: kernel 2.6 speed

> On 7/24/05, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > time() isn't a hot
> > path in the real world.
>
> That's what you would expect but I've straced stuff calling
> gettimeofday() in huge bursts every other second. Obviously braindead
> stuff but so is "the real world" most of the time() ... :)

Anything time stamping things it processes many of will call some sort of
time function pretty often. Could happen frequently with certain classes of
applications. OS/2's "infoseg" approach was a pretty "high speed low
drag" way to eliminate a trip into the kernel for all but the most esoteric
time requirements.