Re: PROBLEM:Machine hangs on pulling out USB cd writer on laptop.

From: tabris
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 00:14:10 EST

On Monday 25 July 2005 9:31 pm, Puneet Vyas wrote:
> Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
> > Puneet Vyas wrote:
> >> PS : I am not even sure if I am "allowed" to pull out the writer
> >> like this. Am I supposed to "stop" the device first or something?
> >
> > You are supoused to unmount the volume. Try it. umount /dev/cdrom ?
> > Make sure that is it not in use, then unload it.
> > New versions of gnome and so have the option to right click the
> > loaded device and then to unmount.
> >
> > It should never hang. Does it hang with the floppy when removed?
>
> 1. When I did umount /dev/cdrom it says - "umount: /dev/hdc is not
> mounted (according to mtab)"
at present, you cannot unmount a device, you have to unmount the
mountpoint. Although 'unmount by device' might be a useful feature, it
isn't currently supported.
it probably is something like /mnt/cdrom. however, this varies by
distro and other factors.

--
* Overfiend ponders doing an NMU of asclock, in which he simply changes
the extended description to "If you bend over and put your head between