Re: Kernel cached memory

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Jul 25 2005 - 12:54:41 EST

Paolo Ornati wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:47:50 -0400
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

And IMHO Linux is *way* too willing to evicy clean pages of my programs to use as disk buffer, so that when system memory is full I
pay the overhead of TWO disk i/o's, one to finally write the data to
the disk and one to read my program back in. If free software is
about choice, I wish there was more in the area of how memory is
used.

isn't this tuned enough by "/proc/sys/vm/swappiness" ?

Let me generate some data points for discussion. But the general answer is no, I just want to try to have some numbers to discuss. I also want to go back to some 2.4.xx-aa kernels, Andrea had some very nice things in his bdflush code, and he was kind enough to explain to me how to tune them so I avoided the worst case events.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc