Re: [2.6.12.3] dyntick 050610-1 breaks makes S3 suspend

From: Christian Hesse
Date: Mon Jul 25 2005 - 05:47:57 EST

On Monday 25 July 2005 12:27, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Christian Hesse <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [050723 05:51]:
> > On Saturday 23 July 2005 14:35, Jan De Luyck wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I recently tried out dyntick 050610-1 against 2.6.12.3, works great, it
> > > actually makes a noticeable difference on my laptop's battery life. I
> > > don't have hard numbers, lets just say that instead of the usual ~3
> > > hours i get out of it, i was ~4 before it started nagging, usual use
> > > pattern at work.
> > >
> > > The only gripe I have with it that it stops S3 from working. If the
> > > patch is compiled in the kernel, it makes S3 suspend correctly, but
> > > resuming goes into a solid hang (nothing get's it back alive, have to
> > > keep the powerbutton for ~5 secs to shutdown the system)
> > >
> > > Anything I could test? The logs don't give anything useful..
> >
> > I reported this some time ago [1], but there's no sulution so far...
> >
> > [1] http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=4b4NI-7mJ-9%40gated-at.bofh.it
>
> In theory it should not happen... And it's working on my laptop for resume
> just fine with dyntick on. Can you try it without APIC support? Maybe
> that's the differerence again. (I don't have APIC on my laptop)

root@logo:~# zcat /proc/config.gz | grep APIC
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
# CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC is not set

Only the second one can be changed in make (menu)config. So I think this is
what you have?

> Also a workaround is to disable dyntick before suspend with:
>
> # echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/timer/timer0/dyn_tick_state
>
> and then enable it again after resume.

IIRC, this didn't work, system hangs at resume as well. Will try again if
you've released an updated version.

--
Christian