Stripping in module

From: Budde, Marco
Date: Mon Jul 25 2005 - 01:26:57 EST

Hi,

at the moment I am packaging a Linux module as an RPM archive.

Therefor I would like to remove some of the not exported/needed
symbols (like e.g. static functions or constants) from the
Linux module.

What is the best way to do this with v2.6.

I have tried e.g. to remove all symbols starting with "telos"
from the module like this (after kbuild):

strip -w -K '!telos*' -K 'telosi2c_usb_driver' telosi2c_linux.ko

When I try to load such a module, insmod dies with a segmentation
fault or the complete kernel dies (with "invalid operand: 0000").
What is the reason for this problem?

What is the correct way using kbuild to remove some symbols?

cu, Marco