Re: Problem with Asus P4C800-DX and P4 -Northwood-

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Mon Jul 25 2005 - 00:25:18 EST

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 02:50:05AM +0200, Andreas Baer wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> First I want to say sorry for this BIG post, but it seems that I have no
> other chance. :)

It's not big enough, you did not explain us what your database does nor
how it does work, what type of resource it consumes most, any vmstat
capture during operation. There are so many possibilities here :
- poor optimisation from gcc => CPU bound

- many random disk accesses => I/O bound, but changing/tuning the I/O
scheduler could help

- intensive disk reads => perhaps your windows and linux partitions are
on the same disk and windows is the first one, then you have 50 MB/s
on the windows one and 25 MB/s on the linux one ?

- task scheduling : if your application is multi-process/multi-thread,
it is possible that you hit some corner cases.

So please start "vmstat 1" before your 3min request, and stop it at the
end, so that it covers all the work. It will tell us many more useful
information.

Regards,
Willy