Re: Giving developers clue how many testers verified certain kernelversion

From: Martin MOKREJŠ
Date: Sun Jul 24 2005 - 14:11:52 EST

Hi Adrian,
I think you don't understand me. I do report bugs and will always
do. The point was that developers could be "assured" there is possibly
no problem when people do NOT report bugs in that piece of code
because they would know that it _was_ tested by 1000 people on 357 different
HW's. And they could even check the .configs, lshw etc. Sure the people
would report a problem, but if you do NOT hear of one then there is either no
problem or nobody cared to report that or nobody tested. So you known
just nothing and you better wait some days, weeks so the patch get's lost
in lkml archives if it doesn't happend it gets into -ac or -mm.

And that is exactly why I proposed this. Then you will know that 1000
people really cared and used that and most probably then it is reasonable
to expect there is really no bug in the code.

Take it the other way around. You may be reluctant to commit some
patch to the official tree. ;) The guy who wrote the patch says "It was tested,
please apply". ;-) If he says the patch is lying in -mm or -ac tree for
a while - like 2 months you might be more in favor to commit, right?
If you know the patch was tested between -git5 and -git6 by 1000 people
within 5 days you wouldn't wait either, right?
Martin