Re: [shorty: Re: 2.6.12 debian powerpc kernels and ppc64 ...]

From: Sven Luther
Date: Sun Jul 24 2005 - 06:13:14 EST

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 10:39:05PM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> The first try to send the message below didn't work. Hoping it does
> now ... :)
>
> Regards
> Wolfgang

Send a bug report to the debian kernel package i meant, not upstream, altough
ther policy is to follow upstream on this, there may be exceptions.

The debian kernel maintainer is a team, not just me, and sending personal mail
and nort an archived bug report, is bound to get lost in my (huge) inbox,
especially now that i am mostly offline 2 weeks.

> that page nobody seemed to be interested in the problem. IIRC I could
> not compile for weeks or perhaps even months a new 2.4 kernel version
> because of the mentioned errors.

2.4 is dead on desktop powerpc for over a year and a half now, so ...

> > i will apply as soon as i am back
> > in 2 weeks, if someone from the kernel team doesn't beat me to it.
>
> The site for the patch I used, IIRC:
> <http://www.kismetwireless.net/download.shtml#orinoco2611>
>
> wget http://www.kismetwireless.net/code/orinoco-2.6.12-rfmon-dragorn-1.diff
>
> The md5sum for the latter that I have here is
> 41fb7cec09f4de93cd2432eb1aceba92
>
> So if yours will be different you can let me know.

Nice , but please apply this info to a debian bug report (reportbug kernel on
a running debian system).

> And I applied the patch to 2.6.12. Or better: I probably patched a
> 2.6.11 (tarball) source with patch-2.6.12.bz2, and then applied the
> above orinoco patch. (Uncertainty because it's already a few weeks ago
> I compiled this kernel ... )
>
> And just in case it might help someone else:
> The following snippet might serve as an example of how to compile this
> more or less wifi ready patched source [Please check for yourself in
> case I made any mistakes ... :) ... ]:
>
> ------------------------
> tar xzvf linux-2.6.11.tar.gz
> cd linux-2.6.11/
> bzip2 -cd /path/to/patch-2.6.12.bz2 | patch -p1
>
> [then applying the orinoco patch from above]
>
> cp /boot/someconfig .
> make oldconfig
> fakeroot make-kpkg clean
>
> time MAKEFLAGS="CC=gcc-4.0" fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=-somename --revision +anothername kernel_image
>
> or
>
> time MAKEFLAGS="CC=gcc-4.0" fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=+orinoco-patched --revision +050703 kernel_image
> ------------------------
>
> HTH
>
> Thanks for responding, Sven ... and yes: for your work, too :)
>
> And sorry for refusing to play nice if things run ugly ..

Well, just provide a debian bug report so we can continue having this
conversation the right way.

TW, is this a different patch than the one Jens had applied back them in the
2.6.4 debian powerpc kenrel days ? And which was removed for bugginess or
something ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther