Re: reiser4 plugins

From: David Masover
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 09:12:28 EST

Markus Törnqvist wrote:
On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 05:54:46PM +0200, David Weinehall wrote:

Which would neither need VFS changes nor be dependent on Reiser4 in
any way, so I don't see why this thread lives on. Just get down to
business and implement this metafs =)

I've been gone for a while and suddenly drowning in mail...

Anyway, I don't really like the metafs thing.

To access the data, you still need to refactor userspace,
so that's not a real advantage. Doing lookups from /meta
all the time, instead of in the file-as-dir-whatever...

I don't really see the disadvantage.

Also, metafs means much less of a fight to get people to adopt the whole meta concept, because it can be done in a POSIX-compliant way which doesn't break tar.

File-as-dir is nice if you're using meta files, but it causes lots of unexpected weirdness. I don't think metafs costs us much in performance, and with one or two shell scripts, it wouldn't cost us that much efficiency on the commandline.

But, I also like file-as-dir. I think it might be time for a vote.

I vote metafs.

Or, maybe Hans needs to tell us which way we're going...

And the best thing to do would be to bring these "Reiser4-specific"
enhancements to every FS.

Which has nothing to do with whether it's done in "metafs" or not.