Re: "Spy'ing" characters sent thru serial port ?

From: Paul Rolland
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 01:13:49 EST

Hi Jeff,

> I don't have any software answers, but it sounds like the modem is an
> external type connected by RS232 cable to a serial port. RS-232 is
> pretty simple at the hardware level and you should be able to create
> a "Y" cable that "sniffs" the transmit from the computer to modem
> line without interrupting the dialogue between the serial port and
> modem. Just connect the transmit and signal ground lines to the
> receive and signal ground lines of a serial terminal or another
> computer with some terminal software (or even "cat </dev/serial1" or
> similar) listening to the serial port. Back in Ye Olde Days (1980s)
> we used to diagnose modem problems like that all the time.

Sure, that's what we did... provided you have a physical access to
the machine to install such a cable and a second machine...
But as my only real access is thru an Ethernet cable, I was trying to
identify a software solution.

However, it looks like we're gonna have to go to yours, and try to
find a way to access the machine physically...

Thx,
Paul