Re: bios interaction with linux kernel after uncompression.

From: randy_dunlap
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 21:52:08 EST

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 12:02:26 +0530 Bhagyashri Bijwe wrote:

| Hi,
| During bootstrapping, bios provides services like video ,hard
| drive services, memory sizing, PCI table to linux kernel.
| After uncompression of kernel , Does linux kernel have any
| interaction with bios?
| I know that most of work is done by linux device driver.
| What is dependency of running linux on bios ?
| Thanks in advance,

As little as possible after boot/init.

That means that BIOS is used for APM mode selections
if APM is being used and for ACPI state-switching.
Oh, I guess we have to acknowledge that hidden SMI code
also, but Linux doesn't use it AFAIK, it's just there
and being executed.

Those are all that I know of before being fully awake.

---
~Randy