Re: Realtime Preemption, 2.6.12, Beginners Guide?

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 21:38:20 EST

On Wednesday 06 Jul 2005 14:39, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Alistair John Strachan <s0348365@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Then it continues to boot. I'm getting periodic lockups under high
> > network load, however, though I suspect that might be the ipw2200
> > driver I compiled against the realtime-preempt kernel. Are there any
> > known issues with external modules versus PREEMPT-RT?
>
> you should keep an eye on compile-time warnings, but otherwise, most of
> the API deviations should be runtime detected and should be reported in
> one way or another (if you have all debugging options enabled).

I now no longer suspect the ipw2200 module. It locks up within 5 minutes,
reliably, with or without network load. I seem to always have to promote a
large redraw in X11 before it occurs, but this is just hand waving, I don't
really have any evidence.

> > Any way to debug these problems?
>
> Is it a hard lockup? One good way to debug it is via serial logging and
> the NMI watchdog. I've attached a QuickStart below. Another method to
> debug hard lockups is to enable 'direct keyboard interrupts', via:
>
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/debug_direct_keyboard

It's a hard lockup, and I'll attempt to carry this out.

> note that with that switch activated you can use SysRq even when the
> system is otherwise locked up, but the keyboard IRQ might crash. So the
> best tactic is to not use the keyboard from that point on, only for the
> short period of time when you try to get info out of a crashed system,
> via SysRq. There's more about this flag in this post:
>
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0411.2/0936.html
>
> Ingo

As usual Ingo, this is a thorough answer to my query and it explains exactly
what I need to do. Fortunately this is an x86 laptop with a serial port, and
I can easily find or make a cable to debug it over the serial console. I hope
to have some useful information to you by the end of the day.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

personal: alistair()devzero!co!uk