Re: aio-stress throughput regressions from 2.6.11 to 2.6.12

From: Suparna Bhattacharya
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 10:08:45 EST

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:00:24AM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:
> On Friday 01 July 2005 03:56, Suparna Bhattacharya wrote:
> > Has anyone else noticed major throughput regressions for random
> > reads/writes with aio-stress in 2.6.12 ?
> > Or have there been any other FS/IO regressions lately ?
> >
> > On one test system I see a degradation from around 17+ MB/s to 11MB/s
> > for random O_DIRECT AIO (aio-stress -o3 testext3/rwfile5) from 2.6.11
> > to 2.6.12. It doesn't seem filesystem specific. Not good :(
> >
> > BTW, Chris/Ben, it doesn't look like the changes to aio.c have had an
> > impact (I copied those back to my 2.6.11 tree and tried the runs with no
> > effect) So it is something else ...
> >
> > Ideas/thoughts/observations ?
>
> Lets try to narrow it down a bit:
>
> aio-stress -o 3 -d 1 will set the depth to 1, (io_submit then wait one request
This doesn't regress - the problem really happens when we don't wait one
at a time.

> at a time). This doesn't take the aio subsystem out of the picture, but it
> does make the block layer interaction more or less the same as non-aio
> benchmarks. If this is slow, I would suspect something in the block layer,
> and iozone -I -i 2 -w -f testext3/rwfile5 should also show the regression.
>
> If it doesn't regress, I would suspect something in the aio core. My first
> attempts at the context switch reduction patches caused this kind of
> regression. There was too much latency in sending the events up to userland.
>
> Other options:
>
> Try different elevators

Still regresses (I tried noop instead of as)

> Try O_SYNC aio random writes
> Try aio random reads
> Try buffers random reads

Again all these end up waiting one at a time with mainline because it
forces buffered AIO to be synchronous, so we the regression doesn't
show up. But, when I apply my patches to make buffered fsAIO async,
so we aren't waiting one at a time -- there is a similar regression.
In fact it was this regression that made me go back and check if it
was happening with AIO-DIO as well.

Regards
Suparna

--