Re: reiser4 plugins

From: Martin Waitz
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 04:27:00 EST

hoi :)

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 04:32:00PM -0600, Jonathan Briggs wrote:
> You could do filesystems in userspace too and just use the kernel's
> block layer.

but you can't do that in an library, you have to use a filesystem
server in order to get access control.
But you can build a library that handles uniform access to
files and directories.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a uniform interface for files and
metadata, but I don't think that it has to be in the kernel.
Gnome and KDE already have their own userspace VFS, something
like that should be used.

One has to distinguish between the low-level filesystem and
the storage system which is presented to the user.

--
Martin Waitz