Re: Updated git HOWTO for kernel hackers

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 01:56:35 EST

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 10:58:13PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> And I suggested that if you want that, then you pull on the TAG. You take
> my modification, you test it, and you see if
>
> git fetch tag ..repo.. tagname
>
> works.

Hm, that doesn't work right now. Both:
git fetch rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/chrisw/linux-2.6.12.y.git tag v2.6.12.1
or
git fetch tag rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/chrisw/linux-2.6.12.y.git v2.6.12.1

die. Or am I just trying to take a point you were making about not
pulling all tags (which I can live with, just was not aware it was this
way, and I agree that it does offer up a lot of possiblities of me using
local tags in the future), and taking it literally?

thanks,

greg k-h