Re: v9fs (-mm -> 2.6.13 merge status)

From: Martin Atkins
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 04:50:14 EST

Uriel <uriell <at> binarydream.org> writes:
>..
> The 9P protocol implemented by v9fs is the result of over a decade of
> research in distributed systems at Bell Labs by the original Unix team,

I would second that. There are several other filesystems already merged or
under discussion that are superficially similar - fuse, coda, and even nfs!
However, v9fs is the only one that is (all of)
1) suitable for synthetic filesystems (resources),
as well as 'normal' filesystems
2) equally good for local and remote filesystems
3) OS/machine independent "on-the-wire"
4) (network) transport independent
5) has a significant history of deployment

If there are few Linux applications using v9fs as yet (but there is plan9ports),
then one must admit that there is something of a chicken-and-eggs
situation involved!

Martin