Re: 2.6.12 udev hangs at boot

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Jun 20 2005 - 11:41:51 EST

Denis Vlasenko wrote:
On Monday 20 June 2005 13:17, Stefan Smietanowski wrote:

Hi Denis.

After all, udev is tied to /sys layout which changes with kernel
and also udev is vital for properly functioning boot process

Not if you use a static /dev.

Static /dev kind of defeats the purpose of udev.

udev is a great thing is you are putting out a distribution which will be used on many configurations. That doesn't include most of us.

I do not want to go back to the days when I had tons of
/dev/{h,s}d{a,b,c,d,e,f}{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} for every
IDE and SCSI block device possible. Same for /dev/tty*.
I want them appear on the fly, if/when hardware is present.

One size doesn't fit all with that, it's nice to have hardware that the kernel doesn't try to use, particularly if it's hardware that the kernel almost but not quite knows HOW to use...

In other words, there are reasons for running static /dev, although I suggest trimming it to something resembling what you need.

RELATED TOPIC: It would be really nice of the changelog started with a "REQUIRED UPDATES" section, even though the vast majority of cases the description would be "none." Seeing that git didn't even provide a full Changelog in the previous tradition, I guess that's not likely.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)