Re: stupid SATA questions

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 13:02:05 EST

Kumar Gala wrote:
These questions were posed to me and I was hoping someone would have better knowledge about the works and usage of SATA then I do. All of these questions are around understanding how important the performance of PIO mode is.

How often would one run in PIO mode? Why would one run in PIO mode?

Never. No idea. :)

Unless you have a broken device, or a command that cannot work with DMA (such as IDENTIFY DEVICE), PIO mode is quite pointless. It is emulated under SATA, turned into FIS's on the SATA bus.

Jeff