Re: Linux v2.6.12-rc6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 10:42:36 EST

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Erik Mouw wrote:

> Over here the script can get the correct information from git
> branches:
>
> > Jeff Garzik:
> > Automatic merge of /spare/repo/netdev-2.6 branch r8169-fix
>
> But for your own changes it seems to fail:
>
> > Linus Torvalds:
> > Linux 2.6.12-rc6
> > Automatic merge of 'misc-fixes' branch from
>
> ... from what?

Yeah, I guess I need to redo my merge messages. Or alternatively, I should
just remove merges from the shortlog.

The merge message that goes along with that shortlog entry is

Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat Jun 4 08:18:39 2005 -0700

Automatic merge of 'misc-fixes' branch from

rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6

which is pretty readable in the long format, but causes the shortlog to
pick up just the partial (largely uninteresing) first line.

Removing merges from the shortlog is actually likely the _right_ thing to
do, since we already miss a lot of merges: any truly trivial merge (ie no
parallellism) is invisible anyway, except that the committer changed.
Besides, it's what the old BK changelogs did.

So I guess I'll leave the merge message as is (unless somebody can suggest
a more readable format), and just update my release scripts to not include
merge messages.

(Using Jeff's syntax for merge messages isn't very good, since with remote
repositories the names of the repos get so long that the message gets
unwieldly..)

> > Automatic merge of rsync://www.parisc-linux.org/~jejb/git/scsi-for-linus-2.6
> > Automatic merge of rsync://rsync.kernel.org/.../davem/net-2.6
>
> And this again works.

That's because they don't have branches - when I take the HEAD of the
repostitory, the changelog entry ends up being just a one-liner again.

Do a "git log" if you have the git tree (or just look at the full
ChangeLog, which is just the output of that), you'll see what's up.

(Btw, Jeff, I think the git-shortlog script is slightly buggered, it
doesn't do the nice word-wrap, and it _only_ takes the first line, even
from a multi-line header. I think it should stop at the first empty line
in the commit, not just take the first one).

Linus