Re: Linux v2.6.12-rc6

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 02:45:29 EST

> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 08:37:31 +0200, Voluspa <lista1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Ah, sorry about the noise... I've been away from kernel testing too
> >long. I patched a 2.6.11.11 tree without noticing all the rejects (this
> >new machine is fast). But from what I remember, it was decided to do
> >the -rc patches against the latest stable codebase, in this case .11
> >Shrug.
> I dunno what the change was, patch didn't apply cleanly to 2.6.11,
> (no idea if bad .bz2, finger trouble), so I download whole thing
> instead, now running on three x86 boxen.

It was explicitly stated by Linus way back 2.6.8.1 time that
subsequent patches are against the base of the previous release, so
-rcs are against 2.6.x not 2.6.x.y.. which all makes great sense if
development is happening in parallel... I'm not sure I've ever heard
anything else stated to oppose this, but apparently some people have..

Dave.