Re: Linux v2.6.12-rc6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jun 06 2005 - 16:37:43 EST

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Pavel Machek wrote:

> I thought you are taking "first From: in the body", not "From: only if
> it is first line in the body". [Could you perhaps modify your scripts
> to take "first From: in the body"? It seems logical to put From "near"
> Signed-of-by: lines...

I really don't want to, for a number of reasons. Most notably because I
don't want to mix things up with the sign-off, because authorship and
sign-off are really separate things (sign-offs accumulate, authorship
stays), but also because it's not entirely unambiguous to parse these
things. With the "first line only" rule, it ends up being pretty clear
what's going on when the script suddenly ate one line..

Linus