Re: [patch 2.6.12-rc3] dell_rbu: Resubmitting patch for new DellBIOS update driver

From: Greg KH
Date: Mon Jun 06 2005 - 13:20:01 EST

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 11:27:53AM -0500, Abhay_Salunke@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > The firmware class creates a sysfs file. That is what I am referring
> > here.
> >
> By doing a copy of the image to the sysfs file are we trying to do the
> automatic actions done by the hotplug scripts manually?

Ok, it seems everyone is way confused here. This is what I was thinking
of when I suggested using the firmware code:
- module loads and registers with firmware core doing the
"request_firmware_nowait" call.
- a hotplug event gets generated that everyone just ignores
(because it isn't really a big deal.)
- At some point, the user copies the firmware to the sysfs file
because they want to update their bios.
- the module is then told that firmware is present and it does
something with it.

Note, that between step 2 and 3, it could be _days_ or _months_. No
need to touch any hotplug scripts at all.

Does this make more sense now? It seems pretty simple to me...

thanks,

greg k-h