Re: [linux-usb-devel] 2.6.12-rc5 : repeatable modprobe usb-storage hang

From: David Brownell
Date: Sat Jun 04 2005 - 14:13:23 EST

On Friday 03 June 2005 10:41 am, Parag Warudkar wrote:

> Also interesting is this line -
> [ 40.586298] ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.0: Unlink after no-IRQ? Controller is
> probably using the wrong IRQ.

So did you investigate these IRQ setup problem, or just ignore
that pointed diagnostic?

Controllers are not expected to behave if their drivers aren't given
the correct IRQ. In particular, when software needs to wait until
the hardware reports it's finished with something, and the hardware
never reports that (== never issues the IRQ) then things may hang.

Also this earlier line already identified a potential root cause:

> [   38.927690] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:02.0[P]: no GSI - using IRQ 11

This could be a problem in either the tables BIOS provided, or in the
way ACPI is interpreting them, or something else ... I'm not an ACPI guru.

You should be experimenting with ways to get the right IRQ assigned to this
controller; such problems are common enough that there are probably half a
dozen boot options affecting what happens. Or maybe look at BIOS options that
affect that controller; you might need to update your board's BIOS firmware.

- Dave