Re: x86-64: Kernel with large page size

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 21:30:23 EST

William Lee Irwin III wrote:
On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 05:50:55PM -0700, Subrahmanyam Ongole wrote:

When we run our application on AMD Opteron processors, we are seeing a
large number of L1_AND_L2_DTLB_MISSES. We used oprofile to measure
these numbers.
[...]

PAGE_SIZE at the moment is intimately tied to the MMU's notions of
address translation, which are determined by hardware.

And even if we were able to increase the PAGE_SIZE that
the kernel uses, this wouldn't really help your TLB misses.

You may be able to use "huge pages" for your workload, which
can use the 2/4MB pages. There is some good documentation for
it in Documentation/vm/ (and probably on the web).

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.