pci_enable_msi() for everyone?

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 17:48:54 EST

In talking with a few people about the MSI kernel code, they asked why
we can't just do the pci_enable_msi() call for every pci device in the
system (at somewhere like pci_enable_device() time or so). That would
let all drivers and devices get the MSI functionality without changing
their code, and probably make the api a whole lot simpler.

Now I know the e1000 driver would have to specifically disable MSI for
some of their broken versions, and possibly some other drivers might
need this, but the downside seems quite small.

Or am I missing something pretty obvious here?

thanks,

greg k-h