Re: install athlon rpm on amd64

From: Lennart Sorensen
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 15:45:42 EST

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 01:30:32PM -0700, Anil kumar wrote:
> Can I install an athlon(amd32) rpm on an amd64(x86_64)
> machine.
> When I tried installing, I am getting an ELF file
> incompatibility. The .obj file in the athlon rpm is
> ELF-32bit but the system is x86_64.
> I guess it should still work?

Probably not. x86_64 can emulate / run 32bit environment, and run 32bit
programs assuming you have all the required 32bit libraries. That
doesn't mean rpm has to know about that. I don't know how redhat
handles x86_64, but certainly Debian does not accept a 32bit package to
be installed by the 64bit package manager. You can however setup a
chroot and run a 32bit environment in the chroot seperate from the 64bit
to manage software installs, and then run the program from outside the
chroot afterwards. At least on Debian.

> Maybe my rpm is bad.

Highly unlikely.

> If not, can I install an athlon(amd32) rpm on an i386
> machine?

Using a 32bit rpm installer I imagine.

> My apologies if this is not the right mailing list for
> this type of question.

A redhat list would be more likely to know. It's not a kernel problem,
but an rpm user space problem.

Len Sorensen