Re: [discuss] Re: [Patch] x86_64: TASK_SIZE fixes for compatibility mode processes

From: Siddha, Suresh B
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 14:12:33 EST

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 05:48:39PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 04:06:04PM -0700, Siddha, Suresh B wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 03:48:23PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > I know. I'm claiming that this is conceptually wrong.
> >
> > I def see your point. But this is too late for 2.6.12. We want to get this
> > fixed in 2.6.12. We can do the cleanup at a more convenient time.
>
> My feeling is that all of this is more for post 2.6.12. I still
> have not seen anything important that would get fixed by it.

Andi, This patch fixes two critical issues. One is the memory leak that
can happen in syscall32_setup_pages because of a malicious app and
another is the 32bit hugetlb application failure(which was also observed
by a customer recently). More details are in my changeset comments.

Either we need to fix these issues independently for 2.6.12 or address
the issue globally(fixing all the corner cases).

thanks,
suresh