Re: [patch 2.6.12-rc3] dell_rbu: Resubmitting patch for new DellBIOS update driver

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 13:06:17 EST

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 08:30:44AM -0500, Abhay_Salunke@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> > No no no. Just because you are using the firmware interface, does not
> > mean you need to add this extra round-trip to the whole system. Just
> > dump the firmware to the /sys/firmware/whatever... file whenever you
> > want to, that's all that is needed. No hotplug stuff, no filename
> > stuff, just a simple copy.
> Greg, all the feedback gave the impression that request_firmwae hotplug
> stuff was the way to go.

It is the way to go.

> Seems it's not required!

Not at all, why do you think I mean that?

> Now that means it needs to be done the way it was before except that
> it needs to have a bin attribute for data and a normal attribute for
> size. This would be even better as it makes it easy to read back the
> data.

No, you can still use the firmware core code, that's what it is there
for. But don't mess with the "make the user provide a filename" stuff.
Just have your driver create the firmware request and then relax. Your
code will get called when the firware is written to, right? That's all
you need.

What's with this obsession about firmware filenames... :)

thanks,

greg k-h