Re: External USB2 HDD affects speed hda

From: Rene Herman
Date: Thu Jun 02 2005 - 18:58:26 EST

Grant Coady wrote:

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 15:11:12 +0200, Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In fact, anyone who could do the same would be much welcome. Certainly with the EHCI controller on a PCI card, and even more certainly with a VIA VT6212 EHCI controller on a PCI card.

Not quite what you asked, following is with 6GB laptop HDD in USB enclosure on /dev/sdb, main drive is Seagate SATA /dev/sda. More hardware info on http://scatter.mine.nu/test/boxen/sempro/ includes an lspci -v, mobo, CPU, HDD info

nVidia driver not loaded, box running headless to ssh terminal.
USB optical mouse only other device plugged in
USB drive plugged in prior to reboot both times

Okay, great, thanks...

2.6.11.11: after many runs, plus hardware info:

root@sempro:~# cat /sys/class/usb_host/usb1/registers
bus pci, device 0000:00:10.4 (driver 10 Dec 2004)
EHCI 1.00, hcd state 1
structural params 0x00004208
capability params 0x00006872
status a008 Async Recl FLR
command 010009 (park)=0 ithresh=1 period=256 RUN

David, did I understand correctly that the Async status bit should not be set without the Async command bit, period? Or was that just in my case, with everything idle/off/disconnected?

If first, then I'm happy that it's not just me ...

00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)

... although maybe still just VIA.

2.6.12-rc5-mm2a third run

[ snip, no Async or Recl status bit ]

irq normal 8184 err 0 reclaim 5387 (lost 82)

No idea about those. Not seeing lost interrupts here, even after generating quite some traffic.

Rene.