Re: Avoiding external fragmentation with a placement policy Version12

From: Joel Schopp
Date: Thu Jun 02 2005 - 16:09:43 EST

Could someone point me at the "Page migration defrag" patch, or
describe what this is. Does this depend on the page migration
patches from memory hotplug to move pages or is it something
different?

I don't think anybody has actually written such a patch yet (correct me if I'm wrong). When somebody does it will certainly depend on the page migration patches. As far as describing what it is, the concept is pretty simple. Migrate in use pieces of memory around to make lots of smaller unallocated memory into fewer larger unallocated memory.