Re: OT] Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog

From: Jim Crilly
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 12:38:42 EST

On 06/01/05 06:55:16PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> "Jim Crilly" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Just because it's old, that doesn't mean it's good. The kernel using the
>
> Just because it is old, it does not mean that it is bad....

Agreed and AFAIK most unix users prefer to use filenames to access their
devices. Why bother populating /dev at all if half if your apps require
random ID numbers to use them?

> > numbers internally makes sense, but requiring them for userspace seems
> > stupid. All you should do is open the appropriate device node and let the
> > kernel figure out which SCSI ID to send the commands to. Every other tool
> > I've ever seen uses device nodes, why should cdrecord be different? All it
> > does is make cdrecord more difficult to use.
>
> Note that Linux did not have a usable /dev/whatever based interface 10 years ago.
> Also note that cdda2wav distinguishes between "OS native Audio ioctl calls" and
> generic SCSI from checking the dev= parameter. For this reason using
> /dev/whateter is just wrong. Take it this way or you are a victim of you own
> decision to ignore the documentation of a program.

I don't use cdda2wav so I can't comment, but every other ripping tool that
I've used on Linux has had no problem using the /dev/whatever interface, so
once again it appears that your tool is the blacksheep for no good reason.

> Jörg

Jim.