Re: RT patch acceptance

From: john cooper
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 10:41:04 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
The reason I raise this topic is that the fact spin_lock_irq wasn't
disabling irqs like it does in the non-RT configuration, sounded like
the technique described in the patent and it's one technique I always
considered not-usable. I possibly wrongly remembered that redefining the
disable-interrupt operation not to disable irqs, was the crucial point
of the patent. But as I've said I'm not a lawyer and so I may have
misunderstood completely the technique that the rtlinux patent is
covering (the way patents are written is not very readable to me).

FWIW the decoupling of interrupt mask levels from
spinlocks is a technique which predates the patent
under discussion by a decade or so. And yes IANAL
as well but it seems the patent would/should not
have been awarded if it conflicted/overlapped with
preexisting usage. I'd hazard this is a non-issue.

-john

--
john.cooper@xxxxxxxxxxx