Re: OT] Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog

From: Joerg Schilling
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 10:17:35 EST

Gerd Knorr <kraxel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Joerg Schilling <schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > If you use /dev/ entries to directly address SCSI targets, then you
> > are relying on on assumptions that cannot be granted everywhere.
> >
> > Cdrecord is portable and this needs to implement a way that is portable
> > and does not rely on nonportable assumptions like yours.
>
> Not really. Yes, it runs on different operating systems. But to send
> the SCSI commands to the device you have OS-specific code in there,
> simply because it's handled in different ways on Solaris / Linux /
> whatever OS. You could make the device addressing OS-specific as well
> instead of expecting everyone in the world follow the Solaris model,
> that would make life a bit easier for everyone involved.

This is not the Solaris model....

I did define this model 19 years ago when I did write the first
Generic SCSI driver at all. Adaptec indepentently did develop ASPI
2 years later and did chose the same address model. Nearly all
OS use this kind (or a very similar model) internaly inside the kernel
or the basic SCSI address routines.

Jörg

--
EMail:joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin