Re: [OT] mailing list management

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 05:52:27 EST

Lukasz Stelmach wrote:
[...]
Well I might use "Reply to all" but then for example you would receive
two copies of this email. One in your private inbox and the other in the
list's box. Is this correct?

That is standard procedure.

The thing is, this list has a lot of traffic (as you might have noticed :), and sometimes people don't have time to go through all the emails, and just take special attention at mails directed at them personally.

I use thunderbird like you and I have a filter to mark as "Personal" emails that have my address in the "To or CC" fields. This way, if I stop reading emails for a few days, when I get back, the first thing I do is just filter "Personal" emails to see if there are any messages directed at me personally. Then I can just browse the rest of the messages without paying too much attention.

Another side effect is that this method speeds up conversations, where the people already involved in a thread receive emails directly without having to wait for the list server to dispatch its queue.

Anyway, see:

http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s3-20

for more information. (and the whole document while you're at it :)

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be
made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr (1885 - 1962)