Re: Parallel Port: Settings PINs on?

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 05:18:31 EST

On Wed, 2005-06-01 12:10:22 +0200, DervishD <lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Nico Schottelius <nico-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> dixit:
> > Is it possible to select (in userspace) which pins
> > should be enabled or do I have to write a kernel driver
> > for that?
>
> Userspace will do. Take a look at programs like 'parapin', 'k74',
> 'libieee1284', 'libparportled', or similars. Look in FreshMeat. As
> far as I know, all them runs in userspace, although you can find some
> Linux drivers for performing pin control of parallel port.

Just for the records: some programs that access the parport use
non-portable inb/outb at PCish I/O addresses to control the parport
line. Though, I haven't checked the programs mentioned above.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx . +49-172-7608481 _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg _ _ O