[VFS-RFC] autofs4 and bind, rbind and move mount requests

From: raven
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 09:44:07 EST

I've been investigating a bug report about bind mounting an autofs controlled mount point. It is indeed disastrous for autofs. It would be simple enough it to check and fail silently but that won't give sensible behavior.

What should the semantics be for these type of mount requests against autofs?

First, a move mount doesn't make sense as it places the autofs filesystem in a location that is not specified in the autofs map to which it belongs. It looks like the user space daemon would loose contact with the newly mounted filesystem and so it would become useless and probably not umountable, not to mention how the daemon would handle it. I believe that this shouldn't be allowed. What do people think? If we don't treat these as invalid then how should they behave?

Should there be a way for a filesystem to veto a mount request?
This doesn't appear possible atm.

This couls be done by adding a method such as "mount_begin" to match the "umount_begin". Should the methods simply be named "mount" and "umount" instead?

Is there a reason that the umount_begin is called only as a special case instead of leaving it to the filesystem which implements it to decide what needs to be done?

Bind mount requests are another question.

In the case of a bind mount we can find ourselves with a dentry in the bound filesystem that is marked as mounted but can't be followed because the parent vfsmount is in the source filesystem.

Should the automount functionality go along with the bind mount filesystem? At this stage there's no straight forward way for autofs to handle two independent mount trees from the same automount daemon. It's just not designed to do that.

It's probably possible to make this behave as though the automounted filesystem is mirrored under the filesystem to which it is bound. But it's likely problematic. What do people think about this?

I've not really thought enough about recursive bind mounts yet but on the face of it they look fairly ugly as well.

I know this post is short on detail but hopefully that will come out if there are people interested in discussing it further.

I look forward to some feedback and hope I can find a realistic approach to solving this problem.

Ian